28 July 2021

Tahoe Mods: Rear Console Project (Designed by SATAS Co)

 

Camping in July (Photo by V.A. McMillan)

Now to follow-up the Tahoe Mod: Sleeping Platform Project (https://mtnmanblog.blogspot.com/2021/07/tahoe-mods-sleep-platform-designed-by.html), with a look at the area around the rear jump seat. While, the sleep platform was designed to enable sleeping wherever I parked the Tahoe, the jump seat was being designed to be a comfortable work station while on the road away from my home office - whether for work or study purposes.

Let's start with a quick look at the plans:

Rear Console Plans

This initial plan captured many of the ideas and features that I thought would be helpful to work from the back seat. The console wanted to be arm rest height, fill the space between the seat and the sleep platform, hold my beverage, and aid in working with my tablet mounted to the rear of the passenger head rest. 

The space between the vertical supports is just large enough for a small diesel heater unit, which may be added at a future date...or not. The vertical supports are anchored to the floor using "L" brackets screwed to the support and the anchor bolts for the rear seat that was removed. It is stable enough for its intended use.

Rear Console, Just Installed (May 2021)

Shortly after the rear console was installed the next upgrade was to add a beverage holder at the front. This required using a hole-saw on my drill to cut through the top plywood layer and then add a support shelf below. I made the opening large enough to fit many bottled or canned beverages. 

Beverage Holder

The support shelf can also hold my bluetooth speaker, if required.

The next upgrade was to mount my cellphone holder...while I have had the holder for many months, I just recently found a mini ball mount to make the phone mount more useful. The mini ball mount was from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B085DJ8Y18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Curious, the price has come up $3 since I purchased this mini ball mount. Even at $13.50 this mount is worth the investment. 

Cellphone, Mount, & Mini Ball Mount

Close Up of Mini Ball Mount

This combo of cellphone mount and mini ball mount allows me to use my phone for video conference calls for school, if needed. The all metal ball mount can be secured in just about any position with tension applied by the single thumb screw, seen on the right side of the mount. One big bonus of this specific mini ball mount was the hot-shoe camera attachment, which screws into the bottom of the mount was used to anchor the mini ball mount to the rear console. No "T" nut and extra screw required!

Rear Console - Ready To Go!

So, now the rear console is ready to go. The head rest tablet mount works well. 

Tablet Mounted

That only leaves a keyboard tray for my wireless keyboard to setup. I have the plywood marked out and ready to finish, I just need to ask a friend for a little assistance with final cuts to round the corners and router out a spot for the keyboard. I will post an update when that has been completed.

Future Keyboard Tray

So, I am pleased with the progress made thus far with the Tahoe Mods. I may make a curtain to separate the front cab area from the rear office/sleeping area at some point in the future. For urban stealth camping a curtain would be prudent to stay unnoticed by persons walking near the vehicle. For camping in the wilderness, this might not be needed. I will keep you posted on any developments.

Until next time...figure out the solution, and then make it happen!!


Mountainman.


Other Tahoe Mods

Sleep Platform:  https://mtnmanblog.blogspot.com/2021/07/tahoe-mods-sleep-platform-designed-by.html 

Cargo Deck:  https://mtnmanblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/building-cargo-organizer-for-my-vehicle.html

Tool Roll:  https://mtnmanblog.blogspot.com/2021/05/tool-roll-designed-by-satas-co-for.html

VIAIR Tote Bag:  https://mtnmanblog.blogspot.com/2021/05/viair-88p-12v-portable-air-compressor.html

Tablet Mount:  https://mtnmanblog.blogspot.com/2021/05/improving-amazon-basic-vehicle-tablet.html


No comments:

Post a Comment