15 August 2020

Isola Peak, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada - West Ridge Hike

 

First summit since 2016. It has been too long. School has ended for another semester and I needed a break. A little hobo camping in my truck for a short week in K-Country. The road takes me up beyond the crowds to a large meadow at the road's end. After crossing at least two removed culverts I am not sure I am in favour of the practice of deactivating roads after the logging companies have had their fill of harvesting timber. Camp for the next five days will be in the shadow of Isola Peak (http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/unique.php?id=IALZQ&output=xml). My Backroads Mapbook suggests the summit is 2494 metre, however, my barometric altitude said it was 2500 metres. Not a tall mountain in K-Country but also one that does not see too much traffic.


A close up of Isola Peak and the West Ridge (top) and the key points of the route looking up (bottom). There is a large meadow at the end of the road and then a small logged block. The route I selected followed the right-hand edge of the logged block (right when looking up). I aimed for the top right corner and then entered into the forest heading for the first open slope on the minor feature (below). 

The trail through the forest looked like this (below): 

There were numerous game trails in the area and this one appeared to be a major game down route. There are many cross trails and getting off-course is a possibility. This is not a guided route to the peak and if you lack bushcraft and navigation skills, this may not be a good hike to attempt.

So, once you exit the forest into the lower open slope of the minor feature, keep to the left side and trudge on up to the top. Again, there were numerous game trails to follow up to the next open slope. I arrived right of centre on the upper open slope. Continue to trudge up the open slope and there is a large Pine snag top centre, easy to find on the way back. 

The West Ridge as seen from the top of the upper open slope (below):

Again, there are game trails on the backside of the minor feature, pick one that points in the direction of Isola Peak (hint, go to your left). It was a windy day on my hike and the leeward side of the minor feature was an enjoyed place for a water break before pushing out onto the exposed West Ridge and the hike to the top. Oh, did I mention this is Grizzly country?? My bad. I saw four Grizzlies in two days while at my campsite. A young male Silvertip Grizzly and a couple days later, a huge Mama Griz and two large cubs - this family was all a dark charcoal colour. So, keep your wits about you when exploring in their part of the forest. Some sort of bear repellent is recommended. I know my preferred type, but bring what you are most comfortable with. I did not encounter any bears while on my hike.

Once you exit the sheltered lee of the minor feature you enter the saddle to Isola Peak and when you look up it looks like this:

The slope is fairly steep from here to the summit. Footing is loose scree and broken rock and three rock bands. There is "NO TRAIL", you must do your own route finding. Generally, what I found was, I started on the lower left (left when looking uphill) and worked my way to the right-hand edge of the rock band above me. Each rock band seemed to be taller, steeper and more rugged on the left than on the right (when looking up). The slope seemed uniform with no side being any less steep. 

Looking back at the lower rock band

Looking up at the middle rock band

There is one more band of rock just below the summit, and again keep to the right and you should be able to pick a route to meet your needs. The top of Isola Peak is more than 95% broken rock with a few minor flat spots which hold some vegetation and level spot that could host a small mountaineering tent but not much more. There is enough grade on the summit that landing a helicopter would be unlikely. A hover exit on the cliff bands might be possible, when it is not windy.

The summit of Isola Peak is marked with a stone cairn and a large stick, which is visible from the bottom. 

 

There was a Pika living in the cairn, but I could not convince the little fellow to pose for a picture. Looking West you can see some of the taller mountains in K-Country, as well as, some of the peaks on the BC/Alberta border.

Looking towards the Prairies and the Livingstone River

Looking from Livingstone River towards Isola Peak

The slope from Livingstone River to the summit looks much gentler than the West Ridge, however, the route is about three times as far, or that is my best guess as I have not traveled that route.

After a short stay on the summit to drink some water, eat some food and capture some pictures it was time to descend back down the West Ridge. 

Unlike the scree runs on Yamnuska Mountain, the West Ridge is more down climbing than scree running. The mix of broken rock and scree is a bad mix if you lose control of your descent and injury is always likely. Thankfully, my one oops only rewarded me with road rash from ankle to knee on my right leg. Help is a long ways away and rescue from here would be long and painful for both the injured and the rescuers. Only you can keep you unbroken in the hills.

This was my first hike of Isola Peak and I am old and out of shape...six-hours up and back. A healthy, young soldier would likely complete the same trip in 3 1/2 to 4 hours. The route was not long in distance, around 1.5 kilometres each direction and the elevation gain was around 430 metres. A good challenge and rewarding views from the summit. I recommend this adventure to those with the skills and experience to do this trip without the aid of others. Those without the required skills and/or experience would want to be in a small group, just in case you need to solve problems.

Until next time...get out and hike something!

Mountainman.

No comments:

Post a Comment