23 May 2012

A Fire Kit

Contents in Fire Kit Pouch

I don't know what it was, but FIRE made it good! Not sure who said that first, but it is classic.

Fire. That one skill that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. And soon, we may have to re-learn how to make fire without aids - like matches, lighters or gasoline.

A show of hands, how many reading this right now have ever used a fire-bow to start a fire.....anyone? No. Don't hide there in the back, I see you. Don't feel ashamed. I am not picking on you. I have not used a fire bow either. That is one of the skills I hope to practice and excel at this Autumn. I will let you know how that goes.
In the meantime, I plan to make use of as many fire making cheats as I can find and store. Thus my
Contents of Fire Kit
 fire kit contains:
  • Bic Lighters in a Ziploc bag
  • Wooden Matches in a plastic match box (orange)
  • Extreme Wind / Water Matches (yellow)
  • Magnesium Bar
  • Burton Fire Bar and Steel
  • A Bottle of Fatwood Shavings
  • Candle Stubs in Ziploc bag (not in picture)
With the contents of this little 5"x5"x3" pouch, I am confident I can start a fire. Probably, many fires. This kit rides in the Tahoe. 

The pouch at the bottom is about 3 1/2"x5"x2", and is setup to be added to the waistbelt of your rucksack/backpack. Or could be added to the belt holding up your jeans. It has a few less items for starting fires but does have room to hold a signal mirror.

I suggest you fill any pouch you may have access to with your fire kit and keep it handy.
A Small Fire Kit Pouch

Until next time, keep your powder dry and your matches handy!

Mountainman.



No comments:

Post a Comment